If you’ve decided the Twitter account that you created years ago just isn’t worth having anymore or perhaps you’re just not interested in the account anymore, you may be asking “How can I delete my Twitter account?”
Well, it’s pretty simple and I’m here to give you the answer! (Doesn’t it make you happy to just get the answer to your questions?)
How Can I Delete My Twitter Account?
Firstly, you need to know that YOU CANNOT DELETE YOUR TWITTER ACCOUNT FROM A MOBILE DEVICE. I’m sure it has something to do with Twitter trying to make it a little harder to delete your account, assuming you’ll just be lazy, and not want to find a computer to delete.
Secondly, be sure you want to delete your twitter account. Google is indexing tweets now, so if it is/was a business account, you might consider keeping it. If you’re really sure, follow the steps below:
- Go to Twitter.com on your computer (not your phone or mobile device).
- Go to Account Settings, which you can find by clicking on your avatar in the top right hand corner of the page. You’ll either see a scroll down menu, or you’ll be taken to your settings page. If the former, click “settings”.
- Not scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Deactivate my account.”
- Be sure to read the popup then click “Okay, fine, deactivate account.”
- Enter your password when asked and click the last button to finally deactivate your account.
More Information You Need to Understand Before Deleting Your Twitter Account
So you’ll notice that this whole article talked about answering “How can I DELETE my Twitter account?” and I started giving you steps to “DEACTIVATE” a Twitter account; What’s the deal, right?
Well, Twitter wants to make sure that you’re really sure about this whole deleting your account thing. So they give you 30 days to change your mind (and to give them a chance to delete data from their systems). If you log back into that account during anytime of that 30 days, you’ll deactivate the deactivation!
Also, you do NOT need to deactivate or delete your account to change your username/Twitter handle! You can change it at any time in your account settings, too. Simple!
You can also find this and more information directly from the little blue bird at https://support.twitter.com/articles/15358#